Thursday, January 31, 2013

God is the Glue

I recently read the most wonderful story written by my friend, Marion, and asked her permission to post it. Please read it below:

This year, I struggled to find words to put to paper.  I knew the verse I wanted.  I knew the song I wanted, but still found no way to link the two together.  And I've learned that when the words aren't there -to hold on - to wait.

Last year, my father-in-law passed away.  I took his nativity set home with me.  It is very beautiful and very expensive, and I love it.  As God would have it, the box was flipped over and smashed to the ground.  I just cried.  I installed the entire set of broken pieces into the trash.  Well, you know that hard, stubborn head my husband has?  He dug all of it out of the garbage and, piece by piece, glued ever figurine together, all but one.  Jesus was the only piece in that entire set that wasn't broken.  I'm serious.

One of my son's dearest friends was admiring the nativity this year.  He had no idea the trauma this set had endured last year.  We laughed as I told him every piece is broken and meticulously super-glued together, all but one.

Rich, wise men and their camels they rode in on - lowly, poor, stinky shepherds and their unruly sheep they tended - a simple girl and the honorable man who covered and protected her..  All sinful - all flawed - all broken --- but One.  Jesus.

The song (I chose) is called "O Savior of Our Fallen Race" by Keith and Kristyn Getty

May you ponder this year just how lovely God meticulously super-glues your brokenness, snatching you out of darkness and the shadow of death, to guide your feet into the way of peace before a Holy God.

"By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace."  Luke 1:78-79



Isn't that an awesome picture of God's redemption and Jesus' unbroken-ness? Isn't the song that Marion had chosen so perfect for this story.  May God be glorified!  May Jesus and His unbroken perfection be held high!  Thank you, Marion, for your gift of words!

In Him,
Susie

3 comments: