Friday, February 10, 2012

God is Peaceful

Rocking a sleeping baby, having a dear and trusted friend at our side at the precise moment needed, camping out on a still, clear night while looking at the stars, listening to a calm, melodious song - we drink in these peaceful times in our lives- as a dry sponge drinks in water flowing over it.

There are also circumstances in our lives that seem - outwardly - the very opposite of peaceful (pre-surgery, waiting for news of a loved one in an emergency, sitting at the side of a very ill family member while medical staff seek to find a cause).  Sometimes, during these times of outward-seeming chaos, we can also have a sense of peace.  We can feel the smooth waters settling into calm waves of hope and stillness. 

That, my friend, is a gift given to us by God.  In Ephesians 2:14, the Bible says "For He himself is our peace." 

When, in the very midst of a crisis or outwardly chaotic circumstance we feel a sense of peace descend on us - as if the peace was a blanket of sheer silk dropped from heaven, blanketing us with a sense of calm - we as believers recognize that our soul is at rest - and that peace filled rest comes from God.  At that very time, when outward circumstances scream chaos and yet our souls are still and calm, we may even think, "I know someone is praying for me right now."

Oh, how precious are those serene times!  How soothed we are to have peace amidst the storm.  What an great time to pray, "Thank you, Lord, for I know that You are keeping me still right now."

God is peaceful.  God is peace-filled.  God is peace-able.  God is at peace.  God is Peace.  Hallelujah!  Focus on Jesus!  For He himself is truly our peace.



Vivie sleeping next to her new puppy, "Sunny," summer of 2010
 Verses to consider:
Psalm 27:5  He will hide me and set me high upon a rock.
John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

He Hideth My Soul          by Fanny Crosby
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
that shadows a dry thirsty land
He hideth my life in the depth of His love
and covers me there with His hand
and covers me there with His hand.

1 comment:

  1. That picture was taken on our front porch, laying on our own Tilly dog's bed, just hours after Sunny came home to your new home! What a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete